Through the years, Shore Leave conventions have been fortunate to have had great support from
our fellow fans, and we wish to thank you for your past service. Once again, it is time to be part
of the action!
Just like Starfleet, Shore Leave is looking for a few good sentients. Con helpers are needed
for Security, Volunteer Forces (general help), Registration, Art Show, and Charities. Individuals
must be reliable and possess the necessary skills to communicate with all life forms, regardless
of origin. A wide range of duties are required and can be tailored to meet one’s talents. If you
like being "behind the scenes," please check the appropriate space on the pre-registration form.
A few details about volunteering for the Volunteer Forces:
- Volunteers will need to serve a minimum of 10 hours for the weekend (Thursday
afternoon through Monday morning) to qualify for a refund (your Shore Leave
membership refund check will be mailed to you after the convention).
- Check in early at the volunteers desk to secure your time slots. There will be a sign up
sheet listing the events and time slots.
- Prior to going to the assignment, volunteers will first sign in at the Volunteer Forces
- Volunteers will be given a time sheet to track their hours and return to the Volunteer
Forces desk at the end of the convention.
- If you are working the Volunteer Forces Desk or Information Booth you must stay at
that station until a replacement arrives for the next shift (Don't worry, we have a lot of
volunteers so this is never a problem).
- When your assignment is completed, return to the Volunteer Forces desk and sign out for
that assignment, and, if desired, sign up for the next assignment.
Areas that we typically need help with are:
- Information Booth: generally 2-hour shifts, but you can do up to 3 hours at a stretch.
- Volunteer Forces Desk: 2 hours at a time, 4 hours maximum which requires at least 1
hour break until your next shift.
- Autograph Line Saturday: 3 hours.
- Autograph Line Sunday: 3 hours.
- Pay-to-Attend workshops: 1 hour per workshop (there are a lot of workshops).
- Art Show Room: 2 hours at a time.
- Handicapped Seating: 2 hours.
- Thursday Night Program Book Stuffing Marathon: 3 to 4 hours.
- Game Room: 2 hours.
- Blood Drive
- Thursday and Monday, moving convention materials to and from storage.
Volunteer tasks are not difficult. Much of it involves performing simple tasks and observing
one’s surroundings. For instance, in the autograph lines, volunteers would be checking badges
or going through the convention area with a badge number sign, notifying attendees of the badge
number series that is currently eligible for autographs. We hope that you can join us in making
this year's Shore Leave one of the best conventions ever. We hope to see you in July.
For any questions regarding the Volunteer Forces, please contact
your Volunteer Forces Committee Chair: Don Ramsey.