What you need:
- A desktop/laptop with a microphone and camera. Note: the Phone / Tablet interface is in Beta testing and does not have full functionality
- A web browser (Chrome or Firefox recommended).
- We strongly recommend using headphones to help prevent feedback.
- That’s it! There’s nothing to install, no software to download
How it works:
- Gather is a video chat platform that has avatars move around a map. As you get close to other avatars, your videos will pop up and you will be able to chat.
- Move around the space using the arrow keys.
- By moving your avatar around you can have spontaneous conversations with those around you. These can be either one-on-one or small groups depending on how many people are around your avatar.
- When your avatar moves closer to an interactable object, it will glow yellow and there will be a notification that shows up saying ‘Press x to interact with -object-’. This can range from informational flyers, playable arcade games, integrated Zoom meetings, and more!
Lower Toolbar Icon explanations:
Change your avatar character and clothing by clicking on the character; you can shuffle through several 8-bit variations to find your best you!
Click on your name to open the settings menu, where you can
- Edit Your Name
- Change User/Video Preferences
- Turn On Quiet Mode (if you don’t feel like chatting)
- Reset Position (click this, and you’ll be whisked back to the lobby!)
- Sign In (if you want to create a GatherTown account)
Mini map to preview the space you’re in
Screen sharing ability
Emotes that appear above your avatar
- Heart react used to show caring or approval
- Party Popper Celebrate/Party
- Thumbs up a way of showing general approval
- Question Mark
- Raise hand, Techs will be looking for this and will come over to help you as soon as they have time. This is the only one that shows up on the Participants list. It is also the only one that stays up until you bring it down.
Side Toolbar Icon Explanations:
Another way to access Settings is to click on the gear icon located on the left side of the page. Here you’ll be able to access the same menu as you did by clicking on your name in the lower toolbar.
The next symbol you’ll see is a Calendar icon. You’ll click on this to see what events are upcoming and which room they’re in.
Below the calendar icon there’s a Chat Bubble icon which you’ll click on if you want to chat. You’ll be given the option to select Nearby where it’ll send to everybody within a certain radius, Everyone which will message everybody that’s currently logged into Gather Town or you can private message by clicking on an individual user’s name.
The last icon is the Participants that will show everybody who is currently active or has been active very recently (roughly a 15 minute window of going inactive). Right clicking on the name will give you a menu where you can private message someone, locate someone, or follow someone.
To access Shore Leave on GatherTown
- click on this link: https://gather.town/app/J8R7Hmi3ILXBwAGs/Shore%20Leave
- Enter the one-time password: Firefly
GatherTown will ask to access your microphone and your camera. If you wish to interact with others on the virtual con floor, you will need to allow access to both.
Type your name in the block below “What Is Your Name?” and press the “Join the Gathering” button.
You’re now in the lobby of our virtual Shore Leave! Use your arrow keys to move around. In the lobby you will see:
- A Tech Support area: move your character onto one of the chairs in this area and a tech guru will help you with any problems you may have
- A Schedule area: move your character onto one of the chairs and access the convention schedule
- An Info area: move your character onto one of the chairs and chat with staff at our information desk
- There are tables and chairs in the lobby; move your character onto one of the chairs, and you can talk with other folks at the table
- Cinnamon Tree Restaurant/Polo Bar & Lounge: two more areas where you can hang out and chat with other con goers.
Explore Shore Leave
Just like the Hunt Valley, we’ve set up an upper level and a lower level filled with convention fun! Wander the corridors of our virtual convention space to find:
- Pool – two hot tubs areas where you can hang out and chat
- Gaming – walk up to a table and join a game!
- Green Room – for panelists to hang out (requires a password to enter)
- Staff Room – for staff members to hang out (requires a password to enter)
- Access points to the Lower Level
- Panel Rooms – check the sign in front of the room to see the schedule of panels going on in that room. The sign will glow yellow and there will be a notification that shows up saying ‘Press x to interact with -object-’; press x on your keyboard to “attend” the panel!
- Dealers Area – with links to dealers’ websites
- Ballrooms – check out our virtual Ten-Forward happening in the Valley & Hunt Ballrooms – with a music playlist courtesy of Vic’s Place and the Pack Ratz!